Saturday, May 7, 2011

BIG SCREEN: Thor 3D Revieux (PG-13)

How’s your knowledge of Norse mythology? About as dismal as mine? Good, so I’ll keep the plot of this movie really simple…

Just as the mighty, but arrogant warrior Thor (played by the otherworldly hot Chris Hemsworth) is set to ascend to his aging father’s throne and become king of the cosmic realm of Asgard, he goes and defies King Odin (Sir Anthony Hopkins), reigniting an ancient war in the process. Needless to say, Dad is ticked. He strips his son of his powers (and his notorious hammer) and banishes him to Earth, where he meets and falls in love with a lady astrophysicist named Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Which is all well and good, but can he learn his lesson and return to his native world in time to save it from certain doom???

Okay, I don’t mean to brag (actually, I do – but I’ve been a stay-at-home mommy for 5.5 years, so cut me some slack!), but I actually got to meet and interview Thor’s director, Kenneth Branagh, in the late 90s. Not only was he even more dashing and handsome in person, but he was just a cool, cool customer. He’s best known for his amazing Shakespearean film adaptations, so I went into Thor with mixed feelings. Sure, I dig the actor/director’s interpretation of the bard’s plays and he left a good impression on me personally, but a sci-fi/action movie? I was dubious.

A few minutes into the movie, I had a really bad feeling. It felt a little corny AND I was wishing I’d read up on the notes. Outstanding visuals aside – costumes, sets, special effects, and 3D effects -- I started to feel a little lost and disinterested, what with all the crazy Scandinavian names and soaring dialog (sadly, it doesn't take much these days). But then, somehow, it all shifted into this perfect balance. DING! So stinkin' cool!

Is it because they found a happy medium between comic book and mythology -- neither insultingly glib, nor obnoxiously cerebral? Was it the introduction of an astrophysicist, who made the concept of traveling through worm holes to distant planets seem plausible? Hard to say, but I think the story finally caught up with the mindblowing visuals for me when Natalie Portman’s character quoted Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey): “Magic is science we don’t understand, yet.” Love that! Makes suspending disbelief just a little bit easier.

As I left the theater, I wished I’d brought my 5-year-old son, because I think he would’ve dug it. Not nearly as gory or violent as I thought it would be. It’s PG-13 because of “sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence." But I think if they can handle Star Wars, this is totally comparable in intensity.

PS -- Stick around through the credits for a little bonus cosmic 3D stuff! Totally worth it!

For New Orleans-area movie theaters and showtimes, visit...
http://neworleans.mrmovietimes.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment