Saturday, June 25, 2011

BIG EASY: Butterfly Tea Party at the Windsor Court Hotel

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve had an unnatural affinity for fancy hotels. Not upscale boutiques or snooty country clubs, but fancy hotels. It’s a bonus if I’m an actual guest, but merely enjoying their luxurious lobbies, lounges, and cafes gives me a lovely contact high that can last for days. Who knows why? Perhaps it’s weird residual past-life stuff, but the Oak Room at the Plaza in New York is like my own personal Mecca. So, when I moved to New Orleans and discovered the abundance of beautiful hotels, I fell even more deeply in love with the city.

Naturally, when I heard the Windsor Court Hotel and the Audubon Insectarium were co-hosting a “Butterfly Tea,” I was drawn to it like… well, a moth to a flame (lame, sorry). I’m also well aware that I have a very small window before my five-year-old son (a) starts really distinguishing between “boy” events and “girl” events, (b) stops wanting to hang out with mommy, and (c) is past the point of learning proper manners expected of guests at the aforementioned fancy hotels that mommy loves so much. So, I have to strike while the iron’s hot with stuff like this!

I found it both amusing and telling that when we pulled into the quaint courtyard, I had to convince my son it was quite okay to leave the car in the care of the valet – he’d bring it back. (Yeah, gotta get out more!) But it turned into a good lesson in etiquette and protocol later when I let him be the one to present the valet with our claim ticket and to tip him when he delivered the car. My brief tutorial on tipping servers and service staff probably went right over his head, but it doesn’t hurt to plant the seed early, right?

Cheerful doormen ushered us into the lobby where a photographer encouraged us to pose in front of giant butterfly image. The photo was presented to us later at our tables as a little bonus. Very sweet. After we took a short, exploratory stroll around the vast lobby to check out its oil paintings and regal decor, they began seating the guests. In addition to delicate china place settings, each table was adorned with a plexiglass case containing a pretty little bouquet nestled in a bed of Spanish moss with several live butterflies clinging to the blooms. Ours were a bit lethargic for my son’s taste, as he repeated a thousand times, but I felt giving the case a violent shake might be viewed as a bit tacky.

So, he settled for a visit to the Insectarium’s little display table to check out some pink katydids (my very favorite bug at the Insectarium), an intimidating-looking Indonesian beetle, a mantis, and a pair of display cases filled with lots of pinned-down moths and butterflies. The ladies manning the table were not only very knowledgeable, but very patient as they deftly handled the endless barrage of questions thrown at them by inquisitive little party guests. No shortage of curiosity in that bunch!

For this particular Afternoon Tea, Windsor Court's Le Salon offered a special children’s service, which included butterfly-shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a chocolate chip scone, colorfully iced butterfly cookies, and huge chocolate-covered strawberries. Adults had their choice of the “Classic” or “Royal” tea services. But, dahhhhling, for $8 more, who wouldn’t go for the Royal Tea which, in addition to the standard scones, tea sandwiches, and sweets, includes both smoked salmon and caviar canapés, AND your choice of a glass of sherry, champagne or chardonnay? I mean, reeeally!

(Note: Keep in mind for future grown-up ladies’ events, they also have a lengthy menu of amazingly decadent-sounding “sparkling wine cocktails,” with names like “Cerulean Sky” and “Sparkling Mint Julep.” Who’s free tomorrow night?!)

After scanning the sizable tea menu packed with lovely and detailed descriptions, I settled on the jasmine tea with its heavenly perfume. We’re talking serious ooh la la here, people. Of course, they offered lemonade as a tea alternative for the kids. I love that my son requested that I pour his into a dainty teacup, then suggested a toast: “One for all, and all for one!” Oh, why the heck not, right? But I convinced him that a light tap would probably be more prudent than slamming our cups together like a couple of pirates.

I have to say, I was incredibly pleased with the boy’s overall manners – and it seemed to be contagious. Not a single wild outburst from anyone the whole time we were there. I have to believe that, in addition to outstanding parenting, the elegant environment somehow must have influenced the youngsters. With the piano softly playing theme songs from children’s movies in the background (nice touch!), my son and I chatted, we nibbled, we sipped, we even laughed ‘til we cried at one point! (Okay, I’ll fess up. After one of his many complaints about the sleepy butterflies, I quite absentmindedly suggested maybe they were getting ready to turn into caterpillars. I have no excuse for such an idiotic statement, but much hilarity ensued, so it was worth it.)

Our server was very sweet and attentive throughout our visit, so at the conclusion of the tea, I decided to let it slide when she quite innocently said, “Oh, you’re all done? Most people have to take some home with them.” Hm. I was thinking, “Lady, I saved up all my daily calories for this. Be glad I didn’t lick the lemon curd right out of the dainty little bowl!” (I said I was thinking it, I didn't actually say it. Manners, y'know.)

Hours later, my son was sweaty and disgusting in his permanently stained baseball uniform, and I was cheering for him from the bleachers. Gotta love the yin and yang!

If you weren’t able to make it to this particular event, you’re in luck! Next month, on Friday, July 29th and Saturday, July 30th, the Windsor Court will be hosting a “Princess Tea.” Crown-shaped goodies, royal martinis, royal purple lemonade, royal decorations, and a crown for each princess? I might have to borrow someone’s little girl for this one!

For reservations, call 504-596-4773 or visit http://www.windsorcourthotel.com/.

For more information on the Audubon Insectarium, visit http://www.auduboninstitute.org/visit/insectarium.

0 comments:

Post a Comment