Friday, July 15, 2011

BIG SCREEN: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 in 3D Revieux (Rated PG-13)

I ‘spose I should preface this by admitting that I’ve not read all the Harry Potter books. Just the first one. And, though I’ve seen all the movies, I do not possess intimate, detailed knowledge of every magical, Muggly, Hogwartsian term. Nor can I chart the relation of one obscure character to the next and back again. I do, however, really dig the movies.

In this, the eighth and final installment, Harry, Hermione, and Ron (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint) continue their quest to find and destroy the final “Horcruxes,” objects containing fragments of evil Voldemort’s soul, which is supposed to result in the destruction of the Dark Lord (Ralph Fiennes). From the opening scene, there’s an eery, sinister sense of foreboding that never really lets up. Many characters from previous Potter films show up for this grand finale, and while it adds a sweet layer of nostalgia, the audience is well-aware that none of them are safe. Nerve. Wracking.

Just as we’ve watched the young stars mature over the years, so have the films themselves. Much of the levity and wonderment in the earlier films are cast aside in order to create this serious, ominous mood. I really don’t want to reveal much more (especially for my fellow clueless non-readers), other than to say a lot of loose ends are tied up, the battle between good and evil is truly epic, the special effects are mindboggling and often highly disturbing (not sure my 5-year-old could’ve handled it), and the emotional conclusion is deeply satisfying. (Even the 3D is done right! No hokey pandering to the camera, it just enhances the whole experience!)

I’m actually kind of glad I didn’t read the books first, especially the final one. There’s no way filmmakers can translate every detail from the written page onto the screen, and I’d hate for any missing elements or minor plot changes to distract me from this amazing movie.

While I’m not nearly as emotionally invested in the films and the characters as true, rabid Potter fans and kids who have grown up with both the book and movie series, I still found myself very choked up multiple times. I also found myself flinching, gripping the arms of my chair, and holding my breath. Really, what more can you ask of a movie?

So, yeah -- wow. Pure movie magic. Sad to see the series end, but what a way to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment